The Calgary Police Service offers the following tips to help protect your property:
Home and garage break-in prevention
- • Keep your doors locked, even when you’re home. Ensure your garage doors and windows are also closed and locked.
- • Install exterior motion lights to brighten dark areas around doors or windows, to make them easily seen by neighbours and passersby.
- • Lock all garage doors, including the one between an attached garage and the house.
- • Always close and lock any windows that could be used to gain access to your home while you’re away or sleeping, even on hot summer nights.
- • Store important or irreplaceable documents and items away from your home, such is in a safety deposit box.
- • If you see homes with open doors, front doors with keys left in the locks or a neighbour’s car with the trunk left open, give them a quick call to let them know.
- • Consider installing home and vehicle alarm systems and vehicle anti-theft devices.
Vehicle theft and car prowling prevention
- • Garage openers should not be left in vehicles, as thieves can use them to gain entry into a home.
- • Avoid parking in unlit areas at night.
- • Lock your doors and close all windows.
- • Hide your valuables out of sight, or better yet, take them with you.
- • Don’t keep extra keys in your vehicle.
It is also important to take proactive measures when leaving your home for extended periods of time
- • Make your home looked lived in. Put lights, radios and TVs on variable timers. If you’re leaving a vehicle outside your house, have a neighbour move it periodically. Arrange for lawn and garden upkeep.
- • Either cancel newspapers, mail and other delivery items or have a trusted neighbor collect them for you while you are away.
Always call police if you see suspicious activity in your neighbourhood.